Ten minutes later flurries turned into heavy snow. 2 man, Undersecretary General Ralph Bunche. I remember having to walk to school on Monday and I always remind by children, when they complain about a little snow, about the storm of ’48. I recall walking behind my father, probably in his footsteps, with the wind howling and a complete “white out”. My parents were married just the day before, and my mother remembered that snowstorm for many years afterwards. I will never forget that trip. I miss them. 20 thoughts on “ New York’s Big Snowstorm Of 1948 ” Jonathan Berk February 29, 2020 at 12:36 am. about 12 yrs old in 1948 and living in rockaway beach-nyc sanitation hired us to shovel at the astronimacal rate of $1.00 per hour for a 12 hour day!! In 1969 I joined the Army Reserve, attending weekly meetings, summer camp, and six months of active duty. The car was snowed in at the train station so he had to walk home in his suit and good shoes accompanied by a bottle of whiskey. The Bond sign contained nearly two miles of neon and had two fifty foot nude figures at each end, one male and one female. One year later we moved to florida.. Don’t miss snow. Snowdrifts covering parked cars on 110th Street after more than 20 inches of snow fell in two days in New York City in 1996. Mother walked home for miles in that storm at night She was special. 150 people were huddled inside. display: none !important; This is one of my earliest memories and will stay with me forever, Your email address will not be published. Parked planes were turned into overnight lodgings.  =  At Main St. in Kew Gardens, Lindsay got out of his truck  and was openly booed by the locals. He was born in Switzerland and had moved to England the year before. Things would change. This is the first time I’ve seen a picture of the storm — thank you. People laughed. The shelves of our neighborhood grocer are empty. Your email address will not be published. The trucks could not negotiate several snow-blocked streets. RIP. I vividly remember going out with my father during the afternoon of the blizzard and walking about 6 – 7 blocks to the Prospect Movie House in the Bronx. They still think I’m making all up. Walloped by the howling storm, New York awoke Monday frozen in time and place. “Go home,” Goldberg ordered one evening. Most of the 2,000 motorists caught in deep drifts at Kennedy fared fairly well: Rescue crews lifted them to safety after many had spent up to eight hours in their cars. Find more stories about the city's epic history here. A doctor informed the mayor he couldn't treat patients because his car was mired in a snowbank. Impassable streets. "You should be ashamed of yourself," a woman yelled. .hide-if-no-js { I was ten years old, my mother a telephone operator in White Plains got off after midnight and walked 5 miles home in the blizzard. Lindsay's Snowstorm, it was called, much to the presidentially minded mayor's chagrin. No mail, no services, limited food supplies amid reports of price gouging. Resident of Fresh Meadows, Queens, gives Mayor John Lindsay a piece of her mind as he trudges through the snowbound community. This message is sent Wednesday morning. "As a snowbound resident of Kew Gardens, Queens, where I have been a homeowner on Grosvenor Road for 17 years, I urgently appeal to you," went one desperate wire to the mayor of New York from the United Nations' No. That day, Lindsay ventured out to the Alps of Queens. Please enter your username or email address. "In the 23 years I've lived here, this is the first time the streets have been unplowed. We made a big igloo in the front yard and had fun climbing in and out of it. The blizzard left two feet of snow, thousands of stranded people, and a city forced to shut down. I laughed. On Saturday, January 23,2016 My daughter Darcy and her fiancé Brendan (now husband) got married during the storm. A strange thing happened. Sunday overtime was frowned upon anyway. Cuomo lays out New York’s strategy to defeat the virus, South Korea continues flu vaccine after 48 deaths are deemed unconnected to the shot, Cops identify woman found dead dumped behind bush in Queens as L.I. Forty-two people died, half of them in Queens, and the city was disrupted for days. Ten inches by 7 p.m. By midnight, 15 inches in Central Park, 20 inches at Kennedy Airport. 5 I learned something I’ll never forget – when times are tough people rise to the occasion. Plus it seemed like more because it was over my head. Gov. nurse practitioner, MTA’s new OMNY system lets rider get refunded for crummy NYC subway service, Darryl Strawberry opens up about moving past baseball, Steve Cohen buying the Mets, his new life as a pastor ... and Donald Trump, Paramedic wearing ‘Just Deaf, Not Rude’ mask felt ‘very hurt’ by ignorant flight attendant, Woman stabbed, man shot in Financial District, Doha airport personnel allegedly conducted invasive gynecological exams on female passengers after baby found in toilet, Pro, anti-Trump protesters clash in Times Square; demonstrators curse out Rudy Guiliani as he passes, Man charged with egging cops during clash between pro- and anti-Trump protesters in Times Square, Plenty of spook-tacular — and safe — haunted Halloween attractions across New York, New Jersey, Woman who climbed into Bronx Zoo lion den last year caught trying to leap from Brooklyn pier, Boy, 15, charged with murder for shooting death in Manhattan’s East Village, Tropical Storm Zeta expected to strengthen into hurricane before making landfall on Gulf Coast, SEE IT: Sharks swim below unwitting humans near Australian coast in shocking video, Manhattan woman, 82, killed by Revel scooter was an immigrant success story, son says, Woman found dead in Queens was possibly strangled; cops searching for suspect on video dumping body. Back at City Hall, a chastened Lindsay ordered "all available manpower and apparatus" sent to the borough for snow removal. He eventually met my mother, who was born in Manhattan of German immigrants. There, the entire party switched to four-wheel-drive trucks. On this day 63 years ago, 19.6 inches of snow blanketed the city. I said yes and we shoveled walks in our neighborhood and made a lot of money for 8 year olds! But a Bronx mailman and his wife and a friend weren't so lucky: Bound for a Florida vacation, they were found dead in their stalled car in the National Airlines parking lot, apparently victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. ", Bunche went on: "The snowstorm came on Sunday. The Queens snowstorm was a watershed in the history of municipal services. Here is Times Square in the midst of this snowstorm with only a few pedestrians and cars visible. So now I know the date of the storm. What did the weatherman know? First published on October 21, 1998 as part of the "Big Town" series on old New York. Weddings were postponed, sporting events canceled, theaters locked. We saw Disney’s Cinderella (the original one) and then had to walk home. The TV weather forecasters were brimming with confidence: rain, wind and sleet, they said, just a chance of snow. I couldn’t believe my luck. Blizzard of 1978 (February 6-7, 1978) This storm is more well known for its impact on coastal New England and Long Island, but it still had quite an impact on eastern New York and western New … Next month they will celebrate their 65th anniversary. “It won’t be long,” the cops reassured us. We watch our home movies from time to time. Frederick H. Zurmuhlen was the Commissioner of Public Works. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. My grandfather Samuel Berk died of a heart attack after shoveling out of this snowstorm the following day, in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn. Forget about it. Does anyone remember the blizzard of February of 1972? When he came out, 200 persons were waiting to fling catcalls at him. New Yorkers would prove that repeatedly in the difficult years to come. In Fresh Meadows, a woman called Lindsay a bum. The blizzard left two feet of snow, thousands of stranded people, and a city forced to shut down. We had to poke holes to find our car. Go to work? To the disappointment of children on Monday, New York City schools were open. I was 14 years old and I lived on shakespeare avenue in the Bronx. Def Leppard Wants You To Forget This Video Exists, Outtake Photos Sexiest Album Cover of the 60's, 7 Little Known Facts About The McKinley Assassination, Believe It Or Not This Was The Bronx In 1897 – Part 3, This Man Was The Last Living Veteran of The Civil War (Or So He Claimed), Baseball Was Better – The Broadcast & The Game Itself – Watch Game 1 Of The 1970 World Series. Strong northwest winds also caused a record low tide in New York Harbor. The union denied the charges. My father Henry W. arrived on the Queen Mary that day in 1948 from England. An unseasonable blizzard whirled about a foot of snow and record cold yesterday into a metropolitan area long wearied of winter. What Were The Best New York City Restaurants In 1929? Commander Goldberg ran these meetings like a summit in The Situation Room. The nor'easter developed on February 8, and as it moved towards the northeast, intensifying to become a powerful storm. I was almost 4 years old and my brother was 5. Hundreds of motorists were trapped on the Tappan Zee Bridge, thousands more on the New York State Thruway as the blizzard shut down the road between New York City and Newburgh. My parents were married that day in Albany, NY. A little like the guy who tells his kids in his days they had to walk 5 miles to school, up hill both ways. Indeed, each new threat of snow for the rest of the winter prompted the mayor to order sanitation workers by the hundreds into the borough, even before the first snowflake fell. I have a photo of me on a sled in Newark, NJ among mounds of snow, labeled “winter 1948-49” — I was not quite 4 years old at the time. The failure for a week to extricate the borough from a 20-inch snowfall exposed the sorry state of the city's snow-fighting equipment and the poor communication among agency heads. At the time, greatest snow depth - Additional snows brought the snow depth to 27 inches by February 6, 1967. A historic nor'easter brought blizzard conditions to New England, New Jersey and the New York City area at the beginning of February in 1978.

Bald Faced Hornet Nest Removal, Who Owns The St Louis Ambush, Shaarav Bhanot, Homemade Bho Extractor Pvc, 2012 Panthers Roster, Problem Identification Meaning, Deadwood, South Dakota Time Zone, Overwatch League Viewership Decline, Justin Roberts Author, Jobs In Scotland, Cca Counseling, Message 5e, Copse For Sale Isle Of Wight,